Tuesday 10 May 2016

So after the adventures on Thursday the rest of the weekend seemed quiet tame by comparison.
Simple activities, such as food shopping and finding our way around Jakarta.

We found a few good places to eat, including a nice tea shop just around the back of our apartment, called Lewis & Carroll.  They have an amazing array of teas and some good food too.


Normally you would say the tea shop was within easy walking distance but crossing the couple of roads between here and there is definitely not for the faint hearted.  A never ending stream of traffic and where there appears to be a gap, there are at least 3-5 mopeds clamouring to fill it, all at full speed.  As if that is not enough of a challenge, there are next to no pavements.  The little sections that exist are full of large holes and other hazards.  More like an assault course than a pleasant stroll.

Today, Monday, Ian has headed off on his first business trip, a short flight within Indonesia and I should see him back early tomorrow.  Whilst he is away I have taken advantage of having our car and driver again and this time I made a trip to the Australian and New Zealand Bazaar.  Surprisingly it was being held in a conference centre in the same building as the Scania office.

The Bazaar was full of wonderful products and I found some beautifully made items supporting local causes.  I purchased a pair of candle holders made from recycled wine bottles by www.ffrash.com and a hand-sewn scarf from www.ayusewingproject.org.

I leave you this evening with this photo I took from our balcony, which I think shows the stark contrasts to be seen and experienced here in Jakarta.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds as if the adventure is to cross the road. Not quite what I expected.

    ReplyDelete